Chikory's Epiphany Toilet

No epiphanies.  No toilets.  Just a whole lot of crap.

Saturday, March 15, 2008

Just a spot of venting...

What makes a cappuccino different from a flat white coffee?
There's foam and a shake of chocolate on top.
How does one place the foam on top without it oozing down the sides of the cup/mug?
By not filling the coffee all the way to the top. You leave a gap of about 1cm from the top, thus allowing room for the foam to comfortably sit within the confines of the china.

That being said, you can imagine my astonishment when an old foggie returns, cup in hand whinging that her coffee was not only too cold (the heated jug was made as hot as it could get without burning the milk, I even burnt my hand on the darn thing making it as hot as I could for the grumpy customers) but not full enough.
What she had done was scooped all the foam off of the top and then come back in to complain that it wasn't filled to the top.
I was like, "It's a cappuccino. It's meant to have foam on the top. That's what you asked for."

People. BAH!

A milk shake is basically ice cream and milk.
An iced coffee or chocolate is ice cream, cream and lots of milk.
Scones with jam and a load of cream is fatty.
So why do people ask for either of those things and request "skim milk" either in the drink, or in the drink accompanying the extremely fattening food?

I've had so many people lately pointlessly requesting skim milk in their iced coffees and milk shakes. For instance, I had a lady today who stressed that she wanted extra ice cream. Not just the usual 2 scoops. Oh no! She wanted 4. So I said that it would be fine and began scooping the ice cream into the shake. But then she added that she wanted it on skim milk.
"EH?"
What's the point!?!?!? Seriously! I think the purpose has thoroughly been defeated. In fact, not only has it been defeated, but it's been thrown in the mud, jumped up and down upon and left to die in a withering unrecognisable mess.

Dare I say it again... People. BAH!

I've got to learn to love people. But it's proving extraordinarily difficult.

2 Comments:

  • At 11/11/2008 11:36 pm, Blogger Miranda said…

    Can you explain why it costs upwards of 20 cents more for an iced chocolate when (at least at the place I go to regularly) the only difference (same ingredients, same amounts, same sized glass) between that and a milkshake is whether or not they stick it in a blender?

    Oh yes... and when I ask for a latte, I MEAN a latte... you know, more foam than a flat white, but less than a cappucino! This one never ceases to irk me, especially because I feel sick if I eat/drink as much foam as goes into a cap!

    And don't even get me started on my sister-in-law (well kinda, I'm not actually married to her brother) and all her idiotic customer stories from 6ish years waitressing...

     
  • At 3/28/2009 9:39 am, Blogger Chikory said…

    Well iced chocolates where I work are different from milkshakes. A milkshake is 2 scoops of icecream, chocolate flavouring and milk. An iced chocolate is a squirt of chocolate flavouring, a scoop of icecream, a little bit of milk, more chocolate flavouring, a massive dollop (and I mean like half a glass here) of cream on top with a shake of chocolate.

    Where we work an iced chocolate is actually 20 cents cheaper than a milkshake. But then again a milkshake is much bigger.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home